Thursday, May 22, 2008

prada

Photo movies.yahoo.com.

A few years ago I walked into a store in Soho. I thought it was a sample sale, although something was a bit odd because there were tables of donuts and people walking around with headsets. I contemplated browsing and looking like I belonged, but I stupidly asked where I was. I was told that it was the wardrobe closet for the coming movie The Devil Wears Prada, which was filming a few blocks away. I left without full comprehension of the clothes that I had missed browsing. This was a potential entree into the world of Vogue, and I hadn't even asked to look around.

A movie! I thought. I had recently read the book and was excited to see how they would interpret it. Meryl Streep. Anne who? Of course, I was one of the first to flock to the theater to see the release. Since then I have seen repeats on HBO. It wasn't what I expected, but it is fun enough to watch.

Recently watching The Devil Wears Prada inspired a second reading of the novel by Lauren Weisenberger. The first time I read it, I wasn't that thrilled, an entertaining read but not as enjoyable as the hype.

Here is one of those few books made better by the movie. I was able to better picture the great descriptions of clothes, shoes, and of course, bags and accessories in the book. I almost got a better picture into this glamorous world than the visuals in the movie would allow. I think the shots of clothes in the film could've been longer, rather than three second snapshots of outfits. The most memorable clothing scene in the movie amounts to a two minute montage with coats and bags being flung onto Andy's desk.

A second reading of the book also allowed me to appreciate the bitter sarcasm in Weisenberger's book. Some of her one liners are downright funny. The bitterness of both the main character and the boss are not conveyed in the movie, which portrays Andy as a chipper, sweet, positive girl with no fashion sense, and Miranda as a possibly tough boss, but not that bad.

The movie is missing any of the edge in the book and I am wondering why they chose to leave out some of the best quirks, like the turnstyle scenes where she sings pop songs to enter the building. Perhaps, song rights? Perhaps casting Andy as a cheery brunette rather than a thin blonde makes her more identifiable to the rest of America.

I would like to see a remake of this movie, one that more accurately represents the book, one that translates the clothes and sharp wit into something screenworthy. I'm waiting for Woody Allen to remake the movie. And believe me, I won't miss the wardrobe closet on that one.

No comments: